What is BEE Certification?
Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) was formed under the Ministry of Power in Government of India. In 2010, the government has made it mandatory for certain items to have ratings and labels on its products which specify the performance of the product and help the customers in making right choices before buying such product. The rating given by the BEE indicates a company’s compliance level in BEE. A company or a product having a higher BEE level indicates the standard performance of the company in relation to competition. Company should annually try to achieve the highest BEE rating to increase the market share of its product.
Why a Company Requires BEE Certificate?
A company mainly requires a BEE certificate to prove their BEE status in the market. The certificate is valid for a year and it needs to be renewed every year based on the BEE implementation during the period. It helps the company in both regulatory and promotional activities. In regulatory it sets performance standards for appliances and designs labeling scheme for the same. The star rating on various appliances like AC, refrigerator, Fans, Pumps, Water Heaters, etc is mandatory required to have BEE rating. It helps in developing norms for energy consumption. In the promotional activity, it helps in creating promotional programs for energy efficiency and to develop testing facilities. It also helps in attracting the customers by achieving the highest level of BEE ratings.
Types of Label
Mainly two types of Labels are found in the Indian product
- Comparative label: Under this label different model are given a specific label in form of Star rating from 1 to 5 with BEE logo and license number on it. The ratings help the customer in getting the right information about the product.
- Endorsement label: Under this the products are marked for their minimum performance criteria for their respective product category like BEE certified etc
Mandatory Product list
- Frost Free (No-Frost) Refrigerator
- Tubular Fluorescent Lamps
- Distribution Transformers
- Air Conditioners
- Direct Cool Refrigerator
- Color TV
- Electric Geysers
- Induction Motors
- Agricultural Pump Sets
- Ceiling Fans
- LPG Stoves
- Washing Machines
- Office Equipment’s
- Diesel Engine Driven Moonset Pumps for Agricultural Purposes
- Solid State Inverters
- Diesel Generator
- Variable Capacity Air Conditioner (Inverter AC’s)
- LED Retrofit lamps