Globally, automotive manufacturers utilize a numbering system called the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to uniquely identify a vehicle. The VIN comprises of 17 characters that uniquely identifies the vehicle as provided in ISO 3779 and ISO 4030. The first 3 characters of VIN that uniquely identifies the manufacturer of the vehicle is called the World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI). The next 6 characters of VIN is known as the Vehicle Descriptor section and the last 8 characters is known as the Vehicle Indicator Sector.
BIS being the National Standards Body of India and the member of the International Organization for Standardization, acts as the WMI coordinator in India and issues the WMI code to vehicle manufactures in India after these are assigned by Society of Automotive Engineers Inc., USA, the international agency responsible for the maintenance of the WMI codes. BIS charges a nominal fee of Rs 5000/- + applicable Taxes for this service.
- Application must be submitted in the prescribed along with the requisite fee along with the supporting documents.
- The documents is verified by the BIS officer and the receipt of the same is given
- Proposal of WMI code as per the series and entry of the same in the BIS data base
- Registration with SAE international , USA
- Confirmation letter from SAE international
- Communication of WMI to the applicant.
1. Name, address of the firm and location of the manufacturing unit;
2. Photocopy of Certificate of incorporation, Memorandum and Article of
Association (MOA & AOA);
3. Photocopy of MSME UDHYOG AADHAR;
4. Installed capacity and number of vehicles manufactured per year( or proposed
capacity if manufacturing not yet started), along with the technical details of the
vehicles, brand name etc (model-wise);
5. Whether you are using any Coding system at present, if yes, its details;
6. Number of vehicles to be produced in the current year (proposed).
7. Details of top management along with designation;
8. Details of vehicle type- Trailer/ Truck/ Bus/ Passenger car/ Motorbike/ etc
9. Detail of VDS and Section of VIN along-with drawings ( we will design this with
10. Draft application, resolution and supporting documentation ( we will provide
- The full name of the firm or the individual applying
- The full and correct details of telephone no., fax no., email –ID.
- The complete address of the applicant.
- The complete address of the production plant with name of city, district and state.
- In case there is more than one plant then additional sheet has to be attached, giving complete details.
- The telephone no., fax no. and email-id of the production plant.
- GSTIN no issued to the firm or individual.
- Names and complete details (including designation) of top management like CEO, directors or high level managers, at least three members.
- The scale of manufacturing that is whether it is large or small.
- The organization structure whether sole proprietor, partnership or company (private or public).
- The details of WMI code if granted earlier.
- The proposed production date.
- The seal and stamp of the firm along with signatures of the applicant.
A Vehicle Identification Number Vehicle Identification Number, commonly, abbreviated to abbreviated to VIN, is a unique , is a unique serial number serial number used by used by the automotive industry automotive industry to identify individual to identify individual motor vehicles.
Prior to 1980, there was not an accepted standard Prior to 1980, there was not an accepted standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers used for these numbers, so different manufacturers used different formats. Modern day VINs consist of 17 characters which do Modern day VINs consist of 17 characters, which do not include the letters, I, O or Q. At present, Vehicle Identification Number systems are based on two related standards, originally issued by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 1979 and 1980; ISO 3779 and ISO 3780, respectively.
- Compatible but somewhat different implementations of these ISO standards have been adopted by the European Union and the United States of America.
- It specifies the content and structure of VIN in order to establish, on a world-wide basis, a uniform identification numbering system for road vehicles.
- ISO 3779: Road Vehicles – VIN – Content & Structure.
- ISO 3780: Road Vehicles – WMI Code.
The first three characters uniquely identify the manufacturer of the vehicle using the World Manufacturer Identifier or WMI code. A manufacturer that builds fewer than 1000 vehicles per year uses a 9 as the third digit and the 12th, 13th and 14th position of the VIN for a second part of the identification. Some manufacturers use the third character as a code for a vehicle category .