FSSAI, as we know, stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. This authority ensures that all those who are in the food business, including those involved in manufacturing, processing, storage, distribution, sale, and import of food, follow certain set standards and guidelines that are scientifically based, which ensures that food product is hygienic, has met the quality standards and can be safely consumed by humans.The FSSAI further has two kinds of approval procedures, one is a licence and the other is a
registration. A registration is usually for all those involved in petty food businesses and a license is for all others who are in the food business but do not classify as a petty food business and thus, do not fit in the criteria for a registration. Further, the FSSAI license has two types, the State FSSAI Licence and the Central FSSAI License.
- The food business can get several legal benefits
- Creates consumer awareness
- You can use FSSAI logo, which can build a goodwill among the customers.
- Set down science-based principles
- Regulate manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import of food
- To facilitate food safety
- The research and development sector is responsible to maintain the safety.
- New guidelines are introduced which are compatible with international organization
- Set up evidence proof studies for building policies.
- There is a huge chance of business expansion.
HOW TO APPLY FOR FSSAI REGISTRATION
FSSAI Registration can be applied online however it constantly required the expert to present your application. So here is a simplified procedure for FSSAI Application.
1) FSSAI registration procedure is started by submitting Form A (application) to food and security office.
2) This application can be acknowledged or it might be dismissed by the Department inside 7 days from the application date and the reality must be hinted to the candidate recorded as a hard copy
3) On the off chance that the application is acknowledged, at that point, the division will allow a registration authentication with the enlistment number and the photograph of the candidate.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF FSSAI LICENSE
The three licenses, differ on the basis of the scale of operation of the food business which is being carried out. The following is the detailed information on the three food licenses.
Basic FSSAI Registration
If the annual turnover of a food business is below Rs. 12 lakh then basic registration of food licensing is required. Generally when someone is starting up a business and unsure of expected turnover, basic food safety registration is done which can be upgraded to state license if the turnover exceeds Rs. 12 Lakh.
Dairy having capacity less that 500 liters per day or daily manufacturing capacity less than 100kg per day needs to get basic FSSAI registration which includes wide range of businesses starting from small pan shops, tea stalls, home based food operators, small warehouses, canteen’s , mid day meal services and food processors. The maximum tenure of this license is 5 years and the minimum is 1 year.
State FSSAI License
If the annual turnover of the food business is more than Rs. 12 lakhs and less than Rs. 20 crores then one has to get state FSSAI License.
Manufacturing units having capacity upto 2 MT per day, Dairy units handling business upto 50000 liters per day, 3 star hotels and above, repackers and relebelling units, clubs canteens, all the catering business irrespective of their turnover needs to apply for State licence. The maximum tenure of this license is 5 years and the minimum is 1 year.
Central FSSAI License
If the annual turnover of the food business is more than Rs. 20 Crores then central FSSAI License is required.
Now the businesses which do not fall under the above two categories, they need to go for central licence, the importer and exporters mandatorily needs central licence, in case you are in a business having multiple outlets across the country then you need to go for central licence for your registered address and also need to get basic state or central licences depending on the turnover of each outlet. The maximum tenure of this license is 5 years and the minimum is 1 year.