File your TDS Return Online – An Overview
Online TDS return is a statement given to the IT department every quarter. It is essential for every deductor to deposit income tax and file for TDS return on time.
Vakilsearch assists and guides you on online TDS return in 3 easy steps:
- Information Collection
- Our agents will set up a seamless process for data collection
- Return Preparation
- Your return will be prepared as required
- Return Filing
TDS Return for individuals and businesses
An employer or company that has valid TAN – Tax Collection and Deduction Account Number can file for online TDS return. Any individual or business who makes a particular payment which is stated under the I-T Act needs to deduct tax at source. The deposit for the same has to be made within the stipulated time. The payment categories include:
- Insurance commission
- Income from winning horse races
- Income by way of “Income on Securities”
- Income by way of winning the lottery, puzzles, and others
- Payment in respect of National Saving Scheme and many others
An assessee can submit an e-TDS return if the same was deducted from their income. As mentioned earlier, it is the obligation of the assessee to file within the due date or be liable to pay a penalty for delay. The categories of assessees eligible to electronically file TDS return every quarter are:
- Persons whose accounts are audited u/s44AB
- Persons holding an office under the Government
Benefits of TDS Return Filing
As per the IT Act of 1961 filing TDS return is mandatory as well as it fetches some benefits to person or company. A few advantages of submitting a return and knowing the refund status are:
- A steady inflow of income to the government.
- Facilitates a smooth collection of taxes used for welfare.
- No burden of paying tax lump sum as the payment is done every three months for the whole year
Documents required to file TDS Return online
The following documents have to be submitted for filing the TDS returns.
- TAN details
- PAN details
- Last TDS filing details, if applicable
- The period for which TDS has to be filed
- Date of incorporation of the business
- No. of transactions for filing TDS returns
- Name of the entity – Proprietorship/ Partnership/ Company/ LLP